Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or concerned with excretion.‘the excretory organs’
- ‘Mammalian examples are the intertwining of the alimentary and digestive systems or the reproductive and excretory systems, which often require medical intervention.’
- ‘These parameters can vary significantly between patients, resulting in differences in drug absorption, drug metabolic and excretory activity, drug distribution and the overall efficacy of drug regimens.’
- ‘SARS virus were detected in urinary, excretory and digestive organs of four patients, who were among the early victims of the disease last spring.’
- ‘Monitoring is particularly necessary for patients with liver disease, as the liver is the primary metabolic and excretory site.’
- ‘The abdomen contains the bulk of the digestive, excretory, and reproductive organs.’
- ‘The placenta forms from both embryonic and maternal tissues, and hosts an astonishing array of hormonal, nutritional, respiratory, excretory, and immunological functions.’
- ‘Inside the gland, multiple follicle pouches join to form excretory ducts, which empty into the urethra.’
- ‘The male reproductive organs include the primary sex glands, the testes, the various excretory ducts, the accessory glands, and the penis.’
- ‘A central excretory bladder and more peripheral cecum were present.’
- ‘And I will also mention that I, for one, am glad that healthy fiction will also give me words for the parts and functions of my excretory and reproductive systems so that I can laugh at them: at myself.’
- ‘The article mentions that liver should not be had on a regular basis by those who are prone to gout because it is an excretory organ and high in uric acid.’
- ‘Pharynx, larynx, urethra, and portions of the excretory ducts of salivary and mammary glands.’
- ‘In freshwater forms, these include the nuchal gland, or neck organ, with ion transporting cells for salt uptake, and excretory organs for water excretion.’
- ‘In the resection specimen, irregular zones of fibrosis and a dilatation of the glandular excretory duct system were grossly evident.’
- ‘Notice that there is no muscle, gut, excretory, reproductive or endocrine tissue represented in the figure.’
- ‘The FCC has defined indecent material as that which ‘depicts or describes sexual or excretory organs or activities’.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.