One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or policy of excluding a person or group from a place, group, or privilege.
- ‘A powerful example of the first type is ethnic exclusivism, whose extreme form is found in the Fascist idea of race pride.’
- ‘Thus Jewish exclusivism properly understood might be more tolerant, by allowing the non-elect to serve God in their own way.’
- ‘One further point is that even the propensity to pair universalism and inclusivism over against particularism and exclusivism is problematic when applied to the biblical period.’
- ‘It will be foolhardiness on our part if we choose to shut ourselves in a dream-world of our own or in our exclusivism, cut ourselves off from the energising and creative forces shaping a new world.’
- ‘Most had their own premises and libraries, and had in fact usually evolved from humbler literary societies; but in the end academic exclusivism was probably one reason why the latter spread so rapidly.’
- ‘Although nationalist activists in English Canada generally rejected narrow ethnic exclusivism, they by no means agreed about how much tolerance or welcoming of in-group difference was appropriate.’
- ‘The situation in France is politically complex and does not lend itself to the easy answers advanced by the ideologues of religious exclusivism, race and nation.’
- ‘National exclusivism is the antithesis of socialism.’
- ‘There were allegations of exclusivism, hurtful practices like shunning, as well as an overbearing doctrine of personal sin.’
- ‘It is not possible to reconcile the existence of states based on ethnic, racial or religious exclusivism with the existence of genuine democracy.’
- ‘The song projects lofty human ideals and nothing of religious sectarianism or exclusivism.’
- ‘Where has it come from - the separatism and exclusivism that is altogether too common in parts of the Reformed constituency?’
- ‘It is not possible to build a democratic state based on an ideology of religious exclusivism and through the forcible suppression of the democratic rights of another people.’
- ‘It is a front-line ideological battle between pluralism vs. exclusivism.’
- ‘Rather he wishes to eliminate all such exclusivism.’
- ‘It's the only state that practices racism, prejudice, and exclusivism all in one, and punishes its MPs for speaking out against it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.