One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or policy of excluding a person or group from a place, group, or privilege.
- ‘National exclusivism is the antithesis of socialism.’
- ‘The song projects lofty human ideals and nothing of religious sectarianism or exclusivism.’
- ‘It's the only state that practices racism, prejudice, and exclusivism all in one, and punishes its MPs for speaking out against it.’
- ‘It is not possible to build a democratic state based on an ideology of religious exclusivism and through the forcible suppression of the democratic rights of another people.’
- ‘It will be foolhardiness on our part if we choose to shut ourselves in a dream-world of our own or in our exclusivism, cut ourselves off from the energising and creative forces shaping a new world.’
- ‘It is not possible to reconcile the existence of states based on ethnic, racial or religious exclusivism with the existence of genuine democracy.’
- ‘Most had their own premises and libraries, and had in fact usually evolved from humbler literary societies; but in the end academic exclusivism was probably one reason why the latter spread so rapidly.’
- ‘Although nationalist activists in English Canada generally rejected narrow ethnic exclusivism, they by no means agreed about how much tolerance or welcoming of in-group difference was appropriate.’
- ‘It is a front-line ideological battle between pluralism vs. exclusivism.’
- ‘The situation in France is politically complex and does not lend itself to the easy answers advanced by the ideologues of religious exclusivism, race and nation.’
- ‘Thus Jewish exclusivism properly understood might be more tolerant, by allowing the non-elect to serve God in their own way.’
- ‘Where has it come from - the separatism and exclusivism that is altogether too common in parts of the Reformed constituency?’
- ‘A powerful example of the first type is ethnic exclusivism, whose extreme form is found in the Fascist idea of race pride.’
- ‘One further point is that even the propensity to pair universalism and inclusivism over against particularism and exclusivism is problematic when applied to the biblical period.’
- ‘There were allegations of exclusivism, hurtful practices like shunning, as well as an overbearing doctrine of personal sin.’
- ‘Rather he wishes to eliminate all such exclusivism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.