One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thing that produces excitation, in particular a device that provides a magnetizing current for the electromagnets in a motor or generator.
- ‘An exciter in the pod tailors the parameters of the jamming signal.’
- ‘A vibration exciter was used to simulate calling song ground vibrations in playback experiments to examine vibration as a possible communication channel between calling males.’
- ‘Hooper points to research by the Kinsey Institute in America, which suggests that there are specific brain centres that control sex drive: an exciter centre, which permits arousal, and an inhibitor, which keeps it under control.’
- ‘Every recording studio worth its salt has an exciter or three.’
- ‘Fluorescein is injected intravenously, and serial retinal photographs using a special camera equipped with an exciter / barrier filter set are taken through the pupil.’
- ‘Armament received a shipment of ten-foot-long paper - wound tubes equipped with an electrical exciter on one end.’
- ‘Although the electric leads to the exciter were doubly shielded, they nonetheless picked up energy at 60 Hz and its harmonics from ambient fields in the laboratory.’
- ‘Philips Sound Solutions has recently signed on to develop a new generation of off-the-shelf exciters for automotive applications.’
- ‘The fluctuation of hormones in any one month cycle is a big exciter of migraine.’
- ‘Paging transmitter having broadband exciter using an intermediate frequency above the transmit frequency’
- ‘Then he designed a frame, and using a WorldSound kit, applied an exciter on the back to produce a stereo speaker.’
- ‘The six processors in Ozone 3 are paragraphic equalizer, multiband dynamics, multiband harmonic exciter, multiband stereo imaging, loudness maximizer and mastering reverb.’
- ‘In addition, the interaction between the vibration exciter and the soil, and the propagation of the vibration signal through the soil are greatly affected by the properties of the soil.’
- ‘The earth under the vibration exciter was cleared of vegetation and debris and the exciter was placed directly on the cleared earth.’
- ‘The same filter was applied to the wave file containing a sample of the ground vibration component of the calling song to generate the source signal, i.e., the signal put on the playback recorder tape for input to the vibration exciter.’
- ‘I feel akin to the writers and exciters, the people who put themselves out on the front line, let their thoughts and their hearts be known to the world.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.