Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Used in the names of hotels, newspapers, and other products to indicate superior quality.‘they stayed at the Excelsior’
- ‘Nineteen of the city's homicides have been in the Mission / Excelsior districts and 16 have been in the Bayview, with others in the Filmore.’
- ‘Right in the middle of the city, the Excelsior is where many students wait for buses.’
- ‘If you're thinking about investing in Asia, look no further than Excelsior Pacific / Asia to play the macroeconomic trends sweeping the region.’
- ‘The news of the fabulous wealth of the Klondike creeks had broken only in mid-July, when the steamers Excelsior and Portland reached San Francisco and Seattle, respectively, with the first miners who had ‘struck it rich.’’
- ‘The three new Navy College Rating Partners are: Southern New Hampshire University, Excelsior University and Central Texas College.’
- ‘To complement the awards, an Excelsior Conference will take place on Wednesday November 12, in the Burlington Hotel.’
- ‘The group has bought the Excelsior, takes over the Grumpy Mole in December, owns the Loaded Hog, Shooters and is setting up a club in the old Money Club Building next door.’
- ‘Meanwhile, you're theoretically defending the Excelsior, which rarely defends itself for some reason, and its shields are made of laughter and kisses.’
- ‘Well, it is Sunday night, just a few minutes after ten and here I sit in front of the computer with some Excelsior water crackers with ham flavoured cheese spread and a Ting (no VX tonight!’
- ‘Van Persie, whose father, a sculptor, raised him as a single parent, had behavioural problems at school and clashed with coaches at his first club, Excelsior.’
- ‘Credit by Examination can be earned via the College Level Examination Program, DANTES Subject Standardized Tests and the Excelsior College Examination.’
- ‘I asked him if he remembered the Excelsior 14-model butter-churn, and he said no.’
- ‘I am eating some Excelsior Water Crackers right now…’
- ‘Owned by Sullivan Lane Stable and Vincent Scuderi, Classic Endeavor also won the 2003 Excelsior Breeders' Cup Handicap at Aqueduct.’
- ‘My Clayton and Shuttleworth steamroller Excelsior was delivered new to Alfred J Ward and Sons in 1902.’
- 1.1North American Softwood shavings used for packing fragile goods or stuffing furniture.
- ‘It is the excelsior from the tea set that Kenneth mails to Rhoda that she sets afire to murder Leroy.’
- ‘Toys stuffed with styrene foam, foam beads or excelsior must Not be washed.’
- ‘Using a ‘throw-away’ product - excelsior - kids can create their own three-dimensional ‘furry friends.’’
- ‘After drying, cut off any remaining foliage and pack the bulbs in a few layers of clean vermiculite, peat moss or excelsior.’
- ‘For instance, my dream is to wrap myself as a birthday present, pack myself in excelsior and ship myself to Greenland - collect!’
- ‘Then I demonstrate with some materials in front of the class, capturing their attention by telling them, ‘There's a little puppy in this excelsior.’’
- ‘The roots are rolled tightly, like a cigarette, in excelsior and plastic to keep the roots moist until planting time.’
Late 18th century (as an exclamation): from Latin, comparative of excelsus, from ex- out, beyond + celsus lofty.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.