Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being accurate or correct; precision.‘it is impossible to calculate with mathematical exactness’
precision, exactitude, accuracy, accurateness, correctness, veracity, faithfulness, fidelity, closenesscare, carefulness, meticulousness, scrupulousness, punctiliousness, conscientiousness, rigour, rigorousness, thoroughness, strictnessveridicality, scrupulosityView synonyms
- ‘After this feeling of awe at the terrible precision and exactness of the world, I began to experience another emotion: irrelevancy.’
- ‘What's needed is some mental stretching to recognize the fact that usually what is called for is some degree of practical commercial acceptability rather than mathematical precision or laboratory exactness.’
- ‘His English translator complimented him on his thorough inductive exactness.’
- ‘As the pictures show, tiling is a craft that requires precision and an exactness to ensure that it will remain intact and secure for many years to come.’
- ‘Improvised circus sounds like a bit of a contradiction in terms, since circus by its very nature requires precision, planning and exactness.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.