One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bet in which the first two places in a race must be predicted in the correct order.Compare with quinella
- ‘I figured it was time for a big play, so I decided to go for a big-money exacta (picking the first two finishers in order), pairing Storm Hen with the #4, Flame Song.’
- ‘The pools will include all wagers from North America with an 18% takeout on straight wagers, 21% takeout on exactas, and a 25.75% takeout for trifecta and superfecta wagering.’
- ‘Too often, exactas, trifectas, and superfectas are influenced by jockeys who can't win the race and decide to stop riding in the final few strides.’
- ‘There might just be a killer exacta or trifecta waiting for you.’
- ‘Maybe if I hit the exacta with a long shot, I can redo the bathroom!’
- ‘Leach selected several well paying exactas to enhance the charity's bankroll, including one $10 exacta that paid $790.’
- ‘‘Win, place, and show, exactas, quinellas, and daily doubles should be $2 prices,’ Gutfreund said.’
- ‘I bet on both Giant's Causeway and Tiznow using across the board tickets on both and boxing the two of them in the exacta.’
- ‘‘I want to put together a document that details all information related to the pools available - win, place, show, exacta, etc.,’ Gallagher said.’
- ‘Liking the favored Funny Cide, he opted for a $12 bet of six two-dollar exactas linking Funny Cide and Peace Rules with longshots.’
- ‘The takeout rate will be lowered from 19% to 16% on daily double, exacta, trifecta, superfecta, and pick three wagering.’
- ‘Idiotically forgetting about reverse forecasts and exactas, the money stayed on 11/10 favourite Desert Storm, because the form said that he would win, and there was only a whisper for the other horse.’
- ‘Jerry took a modest exacta, trying to select the first two horses past the post.’
- ‘The company took bets from the eight-race card of just one track, Lingfield Park, and offered five different bets, including win, place, exacta, and trifecta.’
- ‘The last owner-breeder to snatch an exacta in the Gran Criterium was the legendary Federico Tesio in the 1940s.’
1960s: from American Spanish quiniela exacta ‘exact quinella’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.