Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman to whom someone was formerly married, from whom they are now divorced.
- ‘There's a reason my ex-wife called Emmitt "our four-legged philosopher friend."’
- ‘I just wonder what your ex-wife thinks about what you have done to her.’
- ‘I think it was something to do with his ex-wife.’
- ‘It seems the divorce his ex-wife filed had some interesting allegations.’
- ‘The problem I am having is his childish ex-wife.’
- ‘Brad also admitted that he wanted to get even with the journalists who wrote "cruel" stuff about his now ex-wife.’
- ‘John's ex-wife is also hospitalized, with incurable cancer.’
- ‘My ex-wife wanted to devote more time to her career.’
- ‘My ex wife had no problem at all in buying herself clothes.’
- ‘His mother (my ex-wife) has a habit of coming back into our lives every eight to 10 months.’
- ‘Back at the apartment, I tried once again to reach my ex-wife in Tennessee.’
- ‘Dr Malik's ex-wife also runs a law firm called Maliks on Cheetham Hill Road.’
- ‘His death would allow his ex-wife to remarry.’
- ‘Adam, a missionary who lost his face, returns to Japan to spread the ashes of his ex-wife.’
- ‘I felt as though I were being lectured by my ex-wife, the schoolteacher.’
- ‘Whether you die with or without a will, your ex-wife is first on the list of people entitled to custody.’
- ‘We have to move on now from the king of pop to his ex-wife, Lisa Marie Presley.’
- ‘There's been talk that he's had difficulty meeting the alimony payments to the ex-wife.’
- ‘She didn't want to spend anymore time arguing with Sam's ex-wife on the front step.’
- ‘In 1951, he finally decided to dump his long-suffering first wife, Mildred, for the newly divorced ex-wife of a congressman.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.