One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man who was formerly a member of the armed forces.
- ‘And with so many servicemen and ex-servicemen in the town most people knew one or more of the crew.’
- ‘But the problem has been compounded by the inability of the Legion to attract younger ex-servicemen and new lifeblood.’
- ‘Some of them are ex-servicemen or married to service people and they were crying as they sang it.’
- ‘The mechanistic aspects of warfighting were all in the hands of Pakistani military personnel, ex-servicemen or serving instructors.’
- ‘All funds raised by the riders will go to the Army Benevolent Fund, which provides financial and practical support for soldiers, ex-servicemen and their families in their times of need.’
- ‘Ireland may be about to get its first paramilitary ex-servicemen's organisation.’
- ‘The Navy's list of servicemen and ex-servicemen without a home of their own includes about 19,000 people.’
- ‘There are 16,389 ex-servicemen, 157 war widows and 5,508 widows of other soldiers.’
- ‘The Royal British Legion offers support to ex-servicemen and women and their families who need their help.’
- ‘After the service the ex-servicemen and women will march past the town hall and take a salute led by the Lord Lieutenant of Wiltshire.’
- ‘All actions are carried out under the command of the numerous other British ex-servicemen hired by Henderson to staff the upper echelons of the special branch.’
- ‘The traditional system of private welfare assisting ex-servicemen and their dependants had to be recast.’
- ‘The services of ex-servicemen can be utilised by the police to control cases of theft in the town.’
- ‘After the First World War it employed ex-servicemen and ordered new rolling stock in large quantities in order to strengthen the national industry.’
- ‘With the constant terror threat, the need for ex-servicemen to do reserve duty is paramount.’
- ‘The GI Bill provided very cheap home ownership, loans to start up businesses, and free college tuition for ex-servicemen.’
- ‘Included in the congregation were a military colour party, a colour party of ex-servicemen and many relatives of the deceased soldiers.’
- ‘His father is an ex-serviceman now working as a military policeman.’
- ‘Both ex-servicemen and members of the public have been staying in tents and caravans for over four weeks so they can reserve the house of their choice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.