One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people of northern Siberia.Also called Tungus
- ‘Chapters one and eight frame the project, which is essentially a close examination of how Soviet power both made and unmade state subjects among the Evenki.’
- ‘Grounded in fieldwork done in 1988-89 and 1993-95, the study centres on Evenki associated with the ‘Red Star’ reindeer-herding collective farm at the village of Katonga (roughly 500 miles slightly northeast of Krasnoiarsk).’
- ‘Mengo highlighted the Russian peoples of that region - the Koryaks, Itelmen, Chuckhi, Evenki and Aleut - with their drumming, theatre and song.’
2The Tungusic language of the Evenki.
Relating to the Evenki or their language.
- ‘It is particularly good on the disconnection between Evenki clan order and Russia's attempts to institutionalize iasak (tribute payments).’
- ‘The fireball would have stretched high into the sky, and the local Evenki tribesman must have thought that the world was coming to an end.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.