Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Clothing, especially for women, that is suitable for formal social occasions.‘the fifth floor is beginning to fill with men in dark suits and women in evening wear’
- ‘Donations of good quality items of both wedding and evening wear can be delivered to the shop, or collection can be arranged by calling the charity's fundraising office.’
- ‘Some of the sequences featured casual outfits; club wear for women, evening wear in pastel shades and the Kingfisher colours of red and white for an extremely feminine look.’
- ‘Highlights include the fawn coat and celebrated pillbox hat worn for the inaugural ceremonies on the steps of the Capitol in 1961 and a large group of formal evening wear worn at the White House for state dinners and events.’
- ‘All credit must go to her for keeping ethnic-style designs at the forefront of local fashion, even with the swing to ostentatious evening wear.’
- ‘Fifty-one female dogs, each representing one of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, were judged on beauty, talent, poise and evening wear.’
- ‘Prices start at $300 for knits, $750 for evening wear.’
- ‘In reality, the Angels were three gorgeous actresses who found themselves busting capers set in locations that gave the producers a cheap excuse to show them off in swimsuits and what used to be called evening wear.’
- ‘The shop, which has been tapping into a revived Western fad for eastern clothes, sells glamorous traditional two-piece salwarkameez and sarees, mostly to white York women for evening wear, as well as jewellery and other accessories.’
- ‘I love their song, their chatter, their formal evening wear, their cute white eyebrows.’
- ‘True, it is not every day a climbing party takes along tables, chairs, crockery, cutlery, glasses, food, wine, candelabra and formal evening wear up 3,250 feet.’
- ‘I bought boots, evening wear, casual wear, pumps, strapless, glittered, metallic, leather, fabric, plastic and any other shoe of interest.’
- ‘Advances in electronic textiles promise evening wear that changes color based on mood, undershirts that dispense medicine, and wirelessly-enabled coats that forecast the weather.’
- ‘The collection focuses on formal office and evening wear and includes both western wear and traditional salwar kameez and kurta sets all designed with a contemporary fashion edge.’
- ‘I have never been so disillusioned, and disappointed for my wife, who apart from putting a lot into entering and nominating our business, also paid a lot for her evening wear to attend these festivities.’
- ‘Our woman is concerned with her upper arms, so we offer cover-ups with all our evening wear.’
- ‘These new paintings counterpoint their structure and rich color with an urban grittiness, like an elegant woman in evening wear stepping out onto the macadam of a New York street.’
- ‘Two skimpily clad women sailors in Shore Leave carry a badly wounded companion on a stretcher into a dusky living area already occupied by two women in lingerie and a statuesque third in evening wear.’
- ‘Suitable evening wear will give you confidence while showing respect for the others.’
- ‘It's an eclectic mix of formal and evening wear in a variety of fabrics.’
- ‘Plunging necklines, off-the-shoulder looks, gloss and wrap-over effects and lace-up details upgrade shirts into sexy tops for evening wear.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.