One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long, elegant dress suitable for wearing on formal occasions.
- ‘She was dressed in an evening gown and believed to be on her way to an official function.’
- ‘If she wears a strapless evening gown with a corsage, she's unexpectedly dazzling and radiant.’
- ‘Dressed in an apricot evening gown for the try-out, Lola is a delightful character with an unhealthy habit for collecting knick-knacks and memories.’
- ‘It might be that made-to-measure suit for work, or that elegant evening gown, and it would have been ordered from a tiny dress shop on Morningside Road.’
- ‘Apparently in her late thirties, dressed in a black lace and silver silk evening gown, she sat behind a table across the room from the door.’
- ‘In the event of an evening gathering, Chinese women were more inclined to wear their best clothes instead of a magnificent formal evening gown.’
- ‘She certainly gives me a shock when she shows up on my doorstep later that night, dressed in a black evening gown and matching heels.’
- ‘By the time she reaches the famous signature song, she is dressed in an elegant evening gown and her girlish energy has become the stillness of despair and bitterness.’
- ‘Still dressed in the blue evening gown, she threw a few things into an overnight bag, grabbed up her purse and followed Jerry out of her apartment.’
- ‘The dress was actually a long bronze evening gown, a color that I would usually think quite ugly, but it surprisingly looked well.’
- ‘Strangely, the girl's parents were wearing evening gown and tuxedo.’
- ‘At a family gathering where I was wearing a slightly low-cut evening gown, he tried to take a picture down my dress.’
- ‘They're all in jeans, except Nadia, who's wearing a fabulous evening gown.’
- ‘Her hair and makeup were tastefully applied, and she wore an elegant evening gown.’
- ‘The skirt opens out down to her ankles, miraculously transforming the tarty little frock into an elegant and sophisticated full-length evening gown.’
- ‘Olga was sitting in a queen Anne chair in the corner, dressed in her evening gown with thousands of pounds worth of jewels.’
- ‘I was feeling rather glamorous still dressed up in my evening gown.’
- ‘If you wish to funk up the look, go with any color you desire, including selecting hues that match your evening gown or dress.’
- ‘And why is the woman in the ad wearing an evening gown with an updo to watch a soccer match?’
- ‘And I made two of the bridesmaids' dresses from an evening gown.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.