Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hoofed mammal of an order that includes the ruminants, camels, pigs, and hippopotamuses. Mammals of this group have either two or four toes on each foot.Compare with odd-toed ungulate
- ‘Next, we collected information on the color, behavioral, and ecological characteristics of 200 species of even-toed ungulates and coded this in binary format.’
- ‘It is in these layers that fossils of odd-toed ungulates, even-toed ungulates, and primates first appear.’
- ‘Notably, however, a recent and large-scale comparative analysis concluded that countershading may aid concealment in even-toed ungulates but that it is unlikely to do so in lagomorphs.’
- ‘Though most biologists now agree that whales and hippos are first cousins, they continue to clash over how whales and hippos are related, and where they belong within the even-toed ungulates, the artiodactyls.’
- ‘Traditional morphological taxonomy groups the even-toed ungulates within the order Artiodactyla.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.