Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hoofed mammal of an order that includes the ruminants, camels, pigs, and hippopotamuses. Mammals of this group have either two or four toes on each foot.Compare with odd-toed ungulate
- ‘Notably, however, a recent and large-scale comparative analysis concluded that countershading may aid concealment in even-toed ungulates but that it is unlikely to do so in lagomorphs.’
- ‘It is in these layers that fossils of odd-toed ungulates, even-toed ungulates, and primates first appear.’
- ‘Though most biologists now agree that whales and hippos are first cousins, they continue to clash over how whales and hippos are related, and where they belong within the even-toed ungulates, the artiodactyls.’
- ‘Traditional morphological taxonomy groups the even-toed ungulates within the order Artiodactyla.’
- ‘Next, we collected information on the color, behavioral, and ecological characteristics of 200 species of even-toed ungulates and coded this in binary format.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.