Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The making of a judgment about the amount, number, or value of something; assessment.‘the evaluation of each method’‘an initial evaluation of the program’
assessment, appraisal, judgement, gauging, rating, estimation, ranking, weighing up, summing up, consideration, assay, analysis, opinionView synonyms
- ‘The specialist will review past evaluations and provide an update regarding a child's current needs.’
- ‘It all ends with oral examinations, evaluations, and a graduation ceremony.’
- ‘It judiciously employs evidence from extensive research combined with fair evaluations.’
- ‘A companion paper to this study is a further evaluation of the entire examination.’
- ‘Such different evaluations raise the question of the extent to which philosophy is open to the amateur.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.