Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric vehicle.‘most EVs are capable of quick acceleration’
- ‘Mile for mile, EV drivers pay less.’
- ‘There is now a flurry of activity in Electric Vehicle (EV) development, with probable volume production of EVs by around 2011-2012.’
- ‘The average full-size EV has a 15 kilowatt-hour (kwh) battery pack, which at 8 cents / kwh costs $1.20 to fully recharge for a range of 45 miles.’
- ‘Gasoline is itself highly volatile, a fact that clinched a considerable number of EV sales in the early days of motoring.’
- ‘The difference is so great between internal combustion engines and electric motors that, in California, a singly occupied EV qualifies to use the car pool lane.’
- ‘EVs are easily three to four times more efficient than internal combustion engines.’
- ‘What today's consumer resistance to pure EVs tells us is that consumers are not willing to plan their days around the limitations of their vehicles.’
- ‘The real problem is the lack of availability of EVs which is enforced by the major car manufacturers.’
- ‘Most EVs plug into a standard 110-volt wall socket for overnight charging.’
- ‘Although an EV's motor or controller may sing a bit at high speeds, under heavy loads or when climbing steep grades, an EV is so quiet that its driver must exercise caution in parking lots.’
- ‘It's easy to see why: The EV - 1 had a range of 80 miles, room for two people, and no place for groceries.’
- ‘Operating an EV is virtually identical to driving a car with an engine.’
- ‘In California, the Sacramento Municipal Utility District shades its parking lot with solar-electric panels, which provide power for its mixed fleet of EVs.’
- ‘Neighborhood electric vehicles (NEVs) are light-duty EVs designed primarily for streets, not highways.’
- ‘The lack of this constant vibration adds to the feeling of the smooth, elegant ride found only in luxury cars and most EVs.’
- ‘Indeed, the island is almost tailor-made for EVs.’
- ‘The EV then becomes not only a zero-emission, but a zero-pollution vehicle when renewable energy systems are used for power.’
- ‘Yet by the early 1990s, hopes for a mass market in EVs were short-circuited by limited battery life.’
- ‘But even if the Jersey test is a complete success, it will still be some years before EVs fill the show rooms.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.