Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A major group of mammals that comprises the placentals.Compare with Metatheria
- ‘Previous paleontological and molecular evidence has indicated that cetaceans and artiodactyls constitute a natural clade within the subclass Eutheria.’
- ‘On the other hand, molecular data sets tend to support the sister-group relationship of Carnivora and Pholidota, usually with Xenarthra as basal for Eutheria.’
- ‘Phylogenetic analyses of large mitochondrial data sets support an early divergence of the hedgehog lineage from the rest of Eutheria.’
- ‘Yet the teeth of deltatheroidans are of remarkably primitive construction; if they are related to marsupials, an extremely early divergence of Metatheria and Eutheria is implied.’
- ‘They either sequenced this fragment or obtained published sequences for a wide variety of mammals, covering almost all traditional orders of the Eutheria.’
Modern Latin (plural), from eu- well, prospering + Greek thērion wild beast.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.