One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 63, a soft silvery-white metal of the lanthanide series. Europium oxide is used with yttrium oxide as a red phosphor in color television screens.
- ‘Is there enough chromium, cobalt, helium, and manganese - not to mention erbium, europium, and gadolinium - on the planet to last indefinitely?’
- ‘By replacing yttrium ions with europium, the researchers could make garnets with a violet hue, while ytterbium, zirconium, and cerium produced green garnets.’
- ‘For undergraduate chemistry it was required that one could recite the whole thing from memory, to know that iridium lies at the foot of cobalt, that europium is sandwiched between samarium and gadolinium.’
- ‘Typical materials used for the former are europium yttrium vanadate and yttrium oxysulphide doped with europium.’
- ‘For example, the mare basalts were depleted in aluminum and europium, whereas the anorthosites were loaded with aluminum and enriched in europium.’
Early 20th century: modern Latin, based on Europe.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.