One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Focusing on European culture or history to the exclusion of a wider view of the world; implicitly regarding European culture as preeminent.
- ‘The last have been favored in histories of world Jewry, and for too long those histories have been skewed by their Eurocentric view.’
- ‘A Eurocentric nationalist view of history would posit ‘One World, Many Tribes’ as the oldest and least mature social formation.’
- ‘This Eurocentric view ignored the many other right-to-left scripts: until about ad 1500 there were about as many right-to-left scripts as left-to-right ones.’
- ‘When I got to Union in New York, the culture was elitist, Eurocentric, competitive and individualistic.’
- ‘This book broke with the Eurocentric conceptions of African history and immediately the book became one of the most widely-read and influential books on Africa and the third world in general.’
- ‘The result was a Eurocentric view of world history in which Africans had no part.’
- ‘To paraphrase the good brother, the ban was a deliberate attempt to suppress African culture and impose their Eurocentric Christianity.’
- ‘This is because certain towns have simply meaningless names connected to Eurocentric history while other names represent vicious corruption of indigenous names which need to be corrected.’
- ‘Among some sectors of society, ‘Aussie’ is regarded as Eurocentric and anachronistic in a nation officially committed to ethnic and racial inclusiveness.’
- ‘Australia was part of the British Empire and at school I was taught a fairly Britain-centric and Eurocentric view of the world.’
- ‘So the point is that criminologists should be committed in their research to understanding the world marginalized by Eurocentric culture.’
- ‘Instead, the authors provide a Eurocentric view of pollution and its causes.’
- ‘Rather, they map onto each other and reinforce a politically conservative, Eurocentric view of culture.’
- ‘In more than one instance their Eurocentric view eclipsed their respect, and they overlaid their names on ancient rock art and structures.’
- ‘Most of these so called healthy weight indicators do not take many things into account and are biased towards a Eurocentric view of size and beauty.’
- ‘The Aryan Invasion theory propounded by western scholars gives a Eurocentric history of civilization, based on racial parameters.’
- ‘Conventional historians will find the unashamedly Eurocentric view disturbing, and will judge the author's use of evidence rather cavalier.’
- ‘Proponents of the former position were cast as conservative upholders of Enlightenment verities clinging to modernism as the last bastion of a Eurocentric culture.’
- ‘The main focus may have been Eurocentric, but there was a constant consideration of non-European cultures, in particular India and China.’
- ‘History at school had been taught from a Eurocentric perspective, focusing on colonisation or slavery in Africa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.