One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism consisting of a cell or cells in which the genetic material is DNA in the form of chromosomes contained within a distinct nucleus. Eukaryotes include all living organisms other than the eubacteria and archaebacteria.Compare with prokaryote
- ‘These proteins are expressed by all organisms ranging from prokaryotes to higher eukaryotes, including human cells.’
- ‘The condensin complex plays an essential role in chromosome condensation in all eukaryotes studied so far.’
- ‘The bouquet structure of chromosomes is usually a transitory prophase stage in other eukaryotes.’
- ‘Complete eukaryote chromosomes were investigated for intrachromosomal duplications of constitute a major part of the genome.’
- ‘The condensin complex is essential for chromosome condensation in higher eukaryotes.’
1960s: from eu- ‘easily (formed)’ + karyo- ‘kernel’ + -ote as in zygote.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.