One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A card game for two to four players, usually played with the thirty-two highest cards, the aim being to win at least three of the five tricks played.
- ‘Because my family's from Indiana, our friend had to learn to play euchre (it's quite similar to a game her family taught me in France, called belote, so she got the hang of it quickly).’
- ‘In time, my room became quite the gathering place for gamers with chess and euchre proving most popular at first.’
- ‘She saw that Tamara, Juno, Lynn, and Tamika were playing euchre at the patio table… while the others just sat around and let time pass them.’
- ‘I spent many a sunny afternoon in the smoky darkness of a pool hail in a small central Illinois town where wizened men took my pennies at euchre, gin rummy and poker.’
- ‘When I came back I decided to create a game with the cards you don't use in euchre.’
- ‘And then I'll teach you how to play solitaire euchre.’
- ‘I spent most of my time there playing euchre, which is the best card game I have ever played.’
- ‘You don't even have to watch it - just let it play over a game of euchre and catch a few snippets.’
- ‘They don't look like money; they look like duffers playing euchre on the 19th hole, the way they're kicking back in khakis and golf shirts, one of them scratching his sockless ankle.’
- ‘So, hats off to you Grandad… you're a true hero (and not too bad at kicking my butt at euchre either).’
- ‘Tonight we're playing euchre, after we played euchre Tuesday night.’
- ‘I don't know how to play euchre but I'm smart so I could learn.’
- ‘I'm not sure about toys but a good game of poker or euchre can really get the competitive juices flowing before retiring for the night.’
- ‘I'm not good at euchre, but I used to be and I know some people who are.’
- ‘In the end euchre had been replaced by poker, the beer by pop, and their enthusiasm by exhaustion.’
- ‘Otherwise, play and scoring are the same as in two-handed euchre.’
- ‘Lynn got Tamika, Leeta, and Mimi into playing euchre and the others just sat back, and did their own thing.’
- ‘The men played loud games of cutthroat euchre or pinochle under the trees while the women luxuriated by doing nothing.’
- ‘He's going to have to call my sister ‘Bubble Butt’ and he's going to make lewd gestures at me while we play euchre.’
- ‘That's about the only good thing that has happened today, winning four games of euchre in a row.’
1(in the card game euchre) gain the advantage over (another player) by preventing them from taking three tricks.
wreck, ruin, spoil, disrupt, undo, upset, play havoc with, make a mess of, put an end to, end, bring to an end, put a stop to, terminate, prevent, frustrate, blight, crush, quell, quash, dash, scotch, shatter, vitiate, blast, devastate, demolish, sabotage, torpedoView synonyms
- ‘Bushing or Waiting in the bushes is passing when you hold enough cards to make trump, hoping instead to euchre the opponent who picks up.’
- ‘The score for winning all the tricks or euchring the makers is 3 points instead of 2.’
- ‘If you lose a trick you are euchred; and if you get euchred going alone, the deck scores four points.’
- 1.1North American informal Deceive, outwit, or cheat (someone)‘the merchant can be euchred out of his caftan by hard bargaining’
deceive, trick, play a trick on, hoax, dupe, take in, mislead, delude, hoodwink, bluff, beguile, gull, make a fool of, outwitView synonyms
- ‘You may recall that he euchred Elizabeth's uncle into visiting a site where his experts said Elizabeth's body could have been found.’
- ‘‘He really euchred me there,’ he says with a grin.’
Early 19th century: from German dialect Jucker(spiel).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.