One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Anyway, bemused etymologists eventually tracked down the source of this confusion.’
- ‘While virtually every dictionary describes the origins of ‘bamboozle’ as shrouded in obscurity, a few etymologists maintain its nautical pedigree.’
- ‘An etymologist has now found that use of the term ‘software’ to describe computer programs dates back to 1958 and first appeared in a mathematics journal.’
- ‘And this is where the rules etymologists follow get rather complicated.’
- ‘Thorne cites several theories which have been advanced by etymologists and cookery writers, none of which is particularly plausible.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.