One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Thorne cites several theories which have been advanced by etymologists and cookery writers, none of which is particularly plausible.’
- ‘An etymologist has now found that use of the term ‘software’ to describe computer programs dates back to 1958 and first appeared in a mathematics journal.’
- ‘Anyway, bemused etymologists eventually tracked down the source of this confusion.’
- ‘And this is where the rules etymologists follow get rather complicated.’
- ‘While virtually every dictionary describes the origins of ‘bamboozle’ as shrouded in obscurity, a few etymologists maintain its nautical pedigree.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.