Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The mass expulsion or killing of members of an unwanted ethnic or religious group in a society.
slaughter, wholesale slaughter, mass slaughter, wholesale killing, indiscriminate killingView synonyms
- ‘Such a structure would only entrench current divisions and might even lead to ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘The same mechanism is involved in all pogroms, all ethnic cleansing, and all wars.’
- ‘The prosecutors in the Hague need to prove that he knew of and approved the killings and ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘Non-intervention in the face of mass murder or ethnic cleansing is not the same as neutrality in time of war.’
- ‘When in Chad, the mission interviewed refugees who escaped alleged ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘In certain limited cases, such as genocidal massacre or ethnic cleansing, other states have a responsibility to step in.’
- ‘The Genocide Museum is a memorial to the victims of ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘Before comparisons can begin, however, we must examine what ethnic cleansing means.’
- ‘It would lead to a wave of expulsions, ethnic cleansing and regional conflicts.’
- ‘Four years after the cessation of fighting, ethnic cleansing remains an intractable problem.’
- ‘There is no genocide, no ethnic cleansing and no murder of the scale that outsiders allege.’
- ‘Both have been involved in sectarian murders and ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘He accelerated his policy of ethnic cleansing as soon as the war began.’
- ‘Amnesty International is concerned that the offensive looks like ethnic cleansing.’
- ‘The horror of ethnic cleansing was shown on TV screens across the world last week.’
- ‘And moving forces into Sudan to stop ethnic cleansing and genocide is not imperialism.’
- ‘Now the regime is perpetrating massacres and ethnic cleansing in two new areas of the country.’
- ‘This remains one of the most heinous acts of ethnic cleansing in human history.’
- ‘As the civil war raged and pogroms ensued, ethnic cleansing on a monumental scale created millions of refugees.’
- ‘What if the side on whose behalf we bomb urban areas subsequently commits ethnic cleansing under our military protection?’
ethnic cleansing/ˈeTHnik klenziNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.