Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- systematic chemical name for ethylene
- ‘Polymerization of ethene gives polythene (polyethylene).’
- ‘Ethane and propane, as well as being fuels, are important precursors in the manufacture of ethene, which is then further converted to a range of products.’
- ‘For example reduction of ethanol gives the alkene ethene.’
- ‘For instance, addition of water to ethene creates ethyl alcohol.’
- ‘The alkene ethene can be produced by heating ethanol with (for example) aluminum oxide.’
Mid 19th century: from ether + -ene.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.