One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A relationship between three people, typically a couple and the lover of one of them, involving sexual rivalry.
- ‘However, equity cannot be kept in abeyance until this balance is brought about in this eternal triangle.’
- ‘Clearly Hare's aim is to offer more than a few elegant variations on the eternal triangle.’
- ‘The eternal triangle can endlessly renew itself, placing new people into the same deadly relationships.’
- ‘And matters are further complicated by Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny whose love for Christine is reciprocated, so adding the eternal triangle to the equation.’
- ‘Her actions and reactions to the eternal triangle, which developed between Mickey, Eddie and herself, were played with sensitivity.’
- ‘Some years ago, I witnessed a glorious soap opera in my balcony, the eternal triangle being the usual cause of it all.’
- ‘Math plays no other role in the film (unless you include the eternal triangle).’
- ‘Barbara gets a little taste of karmic justice, as the eternal triangle becomes a quadrilateral.’
- ‘Come As You Are was a series of four short plays united by the theme of the eternal triangle.’
- ‘The eternal triangle of Baby Doe and Horace and Augusta Tabor was brought to vivid life by Joanna Mongiardo, Timothy Noble and Joyce Castle.’
- ‘Playright Sridhar's directorial debut, the film looks at the eternal triangle and unrequited love, a motif common in Sridhar's films.’
- ‘When the pantomime is over a slide show is organised by Leonard which has, unbeknown to him, been doctored with incriminating slides which would affect the original eternal triangle.’
- ‘To make an eternal triangle enter the story, both Sunalini and Bhageerathi meet and fall for a young man, Chandrayya.’
- ‘It is a sort of a menage a trois, or another twist on the eternal triangle.’
- ‘The writer, the reader and the book form an eternal triangle with the book acting as the go-between.’
- ‘Penelope told her: " It's the eternal triangle Margie, but I don't think there is any sex in it.’
- ‘Not so much the eternal triangle, more the infernal quintuplet.’
- ‘A comedy set in the Vienna Prater of the 1860s, and involving an eternal triangle between a hussar, his high-born fiancée, and his former mistress, a street dancer.’
- ‘Bellini's Norma deals with the eternal triangle formed by a high priestess of the druidical temple, a virgin of the temple, and a Roman Pro-Consul.’
- ‘The eternal triangle, so often the diabolical shape at the centre of a murder plot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.