Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat.‘a mare in estrus’
- ‘Around 18 hours after giving birth, females experience postpartum estrus, and mate again.’
- ‘Females have a short estrus period of 3 to 5 days.’
- ‘However, it is also possible that in years of late snow-melt, pikas may lose litters or reabsorb litters and then breed again in post-partum estrus.’
- ‘However, if a female's cubs are killed (usually by an intruding male lion), then the female comes into estrus early and has more cubs.’
- ‘A female may come into her brief period of estrus at any time during the mating season, which runs from late November through mid-January.’
- ‘Women's sexuality is not limited to a specific period of estrus, as it is in almost all other mammals.’
- ‘Therefore, if high population density results in increased contact between individuals, this may stimulate ovarian activity and synchronize estrus between females.’
- ‘In adult females, social rank modulates the length of behavioral estrus, with high ranked females mating for longer periods of time prior to ovulation than lowed rank females.’
- ‘The estrous cycle is 28 days with a 3 day period of estrus.’
- ‘Female chipmunks are in estrus for 1 day a year in late April or early May.’
- ‘However, existing evidence suggests that family breakups, onset of estrus, and breeding opportunities are linked.’
- ‘Two trials in Texas demonstrated a dramatic drop in pregnancy rates for females displaying estrus during June through September compared with earlier months.’
- ‘‘When the female is in estrus, breeding bulls that are 35 to 55 years old and in their prime can be many miles away,’ Garstang said.’
- ‘Fillies began ovulating and advertising estrus by adopting a distinctive posture between one and two years of age.’
- ‘A beef cow has a 21-day estrous cycle, the period from one estrus, or heat, to the next.’
- ‘Researchers in Africa have observed that bulls are always looking for mates, using smell and hearing to seek out females in estrus.’
- ‘Females breed when they are in estrus - a brief period of ovulation that only occurs every two years and lasts just a few days.’
- ‘The number of males and the number of females in estrus within a 10-mile radius of the male was recorded at each location.’
- ‘Males mature more slowly; at three, they begin to pester mares in estrus and are driven out of their natal group.’
- ‘After producing a foal, her periods of estrus are more difficult to detect, and she remains with the father of her offspring.’
Late 17th century: from Greek oistros gadfly or frenzy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.