One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of steroid hormones which promote the development and maintenance of female characteristics of the body. Such hormones are also produced artificially for use in oral contraceptives or to treat menopausal and menstrual disorders.
- ‘Most of the health benefits of soy have been attributed to its high concentration of isoflavones, including genistein, which resemble natural estrogens in the body.’
- ‘The hormone estrogen may also play a role in lupus and could help explain why it is more common in females than males.’
- ‘Her pioneering work on hormones, particularly estrogen, has won her many awards.’
- ‘In contrast to the estrogens, progesterone has no apparent effect on liver function.’
- ‘If you have low female hormone levels, you can use an estrogen cream or take hormones.’
- ‘Although estrogen is best known as a female sex hormone, it exists in small quantities in men, too.’
- ‘Menopause is a time when the body produces less estrogen, a natural combatant of heart disease.’
- ‘It probably relates to the much higher levels of estrogen and other similar hormones in women.’
- ‘Phytoestrogens, the most well known of which are the isoflavones from soy, are not technically estrogens or steroid hormones at all.’
- ‘In this form of therapy, women take a combination of the hormones estrogen and progestin.’
- ‘We defined hormone users as users of estrogen or users of estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘Nor did it make any differences if users were taking estrogen alone or estrogen plus progestin.’
- ‘The combined contraceptive pill contains the hormone oestrogen as well as progestogen.’
- ‘Increases in the hormone estrogen may cause your palms to become red and itchy.’
- ‘There were increases in blood levels of the estrogens, estradiol and estrone, and a reduction of the protective HDL cholesterol.’
- ‘I figured it definitely has something to do with a sudden drop in the hormone estrogen.’
- ‘There was the hormone estrone, a form of the estrogen prescribed to help menopausal women.’
- ‘The ovaries also produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘The tenth report newly lists the group of hormones known as steroidal estrogens as ‘known human carcinogens.’’
- ‘Furthermore, they discovered that female hormones - estrogens such as estradiol - are to thank for this healthy restraint.’
- ‘These cells do not need the hormone estrogen to grow and usually do not respond to antiestrogen therapy.’
- ‘Aromatase inhibitors are drugs that reduce the levels of estrogen in your body.’
- ‘Steroidal estrogens are a group of related hormones that control sex and growth characteristics.’
1920s: from estrus + -gen.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.