One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of steroid hormones which promote the development and maintenance of female characteristics of the body. Such hormones are also produced artificially for use in oral contraceptives or to treat menopausal and menstrual disorders.
- ‘Phytoestrogens, the most well known of which are the isoflavones from soy, are not technically estrogens or steroid hormones at all.’
- ‘Steroidal estrogens are a group of related hormones that control sex and growth characteristics.’
- ‘The hormone estrogen may also play a role in lupus and could help explain why it is more common in females than males.’
- ‘These cells do not need the hormone estrogen to grow and usually do not respond to antiestrogen therapy.’
- ‘The tenth report newly lists the group of hormones known as steroidal estrogens as ‘known human carcinogens.’’
- ‘Aromatase inhibitors are drugs that reduce the levels of estrogen in your body.’
- ‘The ovaries also produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘There was the hormone estrone, a form of the estrogen prescribed to help menopausal women.’
- ‘I figured it definitely has something to do with a sudden drop in the hormone estrogen.’
- ‘Her pioneering work on hormones, particularly estrogen, has won her many awards.’
- ‘We defined hormone users as users of estrogen or users of estrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘Increases in the hormone estrogen may cause your palms to become red and itchy.’
- ‘Although estrogen is best known as a female sex hormone, it exists in small quantities in men, too.’
- ‘There were increases in blood levels of the estrogens, estradiol and estrone, and a reduction of the protective HDL cholesterol.’
- ‘The combined contraceptive pill contains the hormone oestrogen as well as progestogen.’
- ‘If you have low female hormone levels, you can use an estrogen cream or take hormones.’
- ‘Most of the health benefits of soy have been attributed to its high concentration of isoflavones, including genistein, which resemble natural estrogens in the body.’
- ‘It probably relates to the much higher levels of estrogen and other similar hormones in women.’
- ‘Nor did it make any differences if users were taking estrogen alone or estrogen plus progestin.’
- ‘Menopause is a time when the body produces less estrogen, a natural combatant of heart disease.’
- ‘Furthermore, they discovered that female hormones - estrogens such as estradiol - are to thank for this healthy restraint.’
- ‘In contrast to the estrogens, progesterone has no apparent effect on liver function.’
- ‘In this form of therapy, women take a combination of the hormones estrogen and progestin.’
1920s: from estrus + -gen.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.