One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An estrogen which is one of the metabolic products of estradiol.
- ‘The primary estrogen secreted by the ovary is estradiol, whereas that of the placenta is estriol.’
- ‘I assume that you're taking an oral dose of estriol or some combination of estriol, estrone, and estradiol.’
- ‘Natural estrogen can also easily be divided into the three types of estrogen: estradiol, estrone, and estriol.’
- ‘Fetal cortisol and estriol were measured in the umbilical vein plasma at delivery.’
- ‘Then there was balancing estradiol with progestins and, in some users, with estriol.’
- ‘The prominent estrogens in women are estradiol, estrone and estriol.’
- ‘Even though the ovaries cease producing estradiol, estriol continues to be made by the adrenal glands and in fat cells.’
1930s: from oestrane (the parent molecule of most oestrogens) + tri- + -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.