Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A major estrogen produced in the ovaries.
- ‘Steroid hormones such as progesterone, testosterone, and estradiol are derived from cholesterol, a major constituent of biomembranes.’
- ‘The primary estrogen secreted by the ovary is estradiol, whereas that of the placenta is estriol.’
- ‘There were increases in blood levels of the estrogens, estradiol and estrone, and a reduction of the protective HDL cholesterol.’
- ‘Even though the ovaries cease producing estradiol, estriol continues to be made by the adrenal glands and in fat cells.’
- ‘Natural estrogen can also easily be divided into the three types of estrogen: estradiol, estrone, and estriol.’
1930s: from estrus + di- + -ol.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.