One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rule, method, or criterion for arriving at an estimate of the value of a parameter.
- ‘In contrast, the likelihood estimator maintains a low standard error across the full range of conditions.’
- ‘Conversely, cost estimators are based on averages or generalizations that do not take into account the individual management abilities of a farm.’
- ‘For huge amounts of input data, the maximum likelihood estimator cannot be evaluated.’
- ‘As discussed above, they both have shortcoming as estimators of reliability.’
- ‘For both types of nests, daily survival rates and standard errors were calculated using the maximum-likelihood estimator of Bart and Robson.’
- 1.1 A quantity used or evaluated as an estimate of the value of a parameter.
- ‘It is also possible to use a similar approach to derive estimators for parameters that are relevant on the bulk sample scale, not the single-molecule scale.’
- ‘In tests for this paper, I found that some of the estimators became statistically significant after the Newey-West corrections were performed, while other estimators remained insignificant.’
- ‘This is based on an analytical relationship between the expected value of the estimator and its real value.’
- ‘In this article, we define new population-specific parameters of population divergence and construct sample statistics that are estimators of these parameters.’
2A person who estimates the price, value, number, quantity, or extent of something.
- ‘He explained that his work as chief estimator is different from that of junior estimator, to the extent that when he was a junior estimator the senior partners Emmons & Mitchell were watching his work closely.’
- ‘Just which initial choice an estimator makes depends to some extent on the type of estimate they are performing and the type of client they serve.’
- ‘How can its estimators obtain pricing for the many items they are going to need?’
- ‘While the estimator doesn't know the price of parts for my bike, and will let the shop determine that, he figures it'll be around $800 to fix everything.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.