Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An enzyme that hydrolyzes particular esters into acids and alcohols or phenols.
- ‘Carbosulfan is extremely toxic to mammals and its toxicity is mediated through inhibition of acetylcholine esterase, a respiratory enzyme.’
- ‘Cholesterol esterase was omitted from the assay to exclude intracellular cholesterol esters.’
- ‘Cholesterol esterase plays a role in digestive lipid absorption in the upper intestinal tract, though its role in cholesterol absorption in particular is controversial.’
- ‘Trichlorfon use is broadly based on its action as an inhibitor of acetylcholine esterase.’
- ‘Growing carnation petals showed high activities of cellulase and pectin esterase.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.