One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organic compound made by replacing the hydrogen of an acid by an alkyl or other organic group. Many naturally occurring fats and essential oils are esters of fatty acids.
- ‘Inside is a solution of an oxalate ester and a fluorescent dye, as well as a smaller glass tube that contains hydrogen peroxide.’
- ‘Fatty esters help replace natural esters missing from older, dryer skin types.’
- ‘The ester ethyl acetate can be produced using either an organic or inorganic acid.’
- ‘Glycerol esters are utilized in cakes, breads and other bakery products as lubricants and softening agents.’
- ‘Fatty acid methyl esters were analyzed by gas chromatography as described above.’
Mid 19th century: from German, probably from a blend of Essig ‘vinegar’ and Äther ‘ether’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.