One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A station wagon.
station wagonView synonyms
- ‘When does an estate car not feel like an estate car?’
- ‘It looks like an estate car, it drives like an estate car and, with the rear seats down, it offers the load space of an estate car.’
- ‘It is more than an estate car, although it has all the benefits.’
- ‘With many companies turning to car-derived vans for drivers more normally used to an estate car for field work, the resistance to driving a van home could be reduced here.’
- ‘Though no longer than an estate car, the van provides enough sleeping space for the four of us.’
- ‘It cleverly straddles two car types - a full seven-seater MPV and an estate car.’
- ‘More than just a standard estate car, the new car's seating flexibility and versatility combine the appeal of the popular MPV format with superior driving dynamics.’
- ‘At that time I had an estate car and travelled regularly over the 12 speed humps down Askham Lane from my house to the York outer ring road.’
- ‘He left his home in Elm Avenue to find the rear windows of his Volvo estate car had been shot out.’
- ‘If you require an estate car for carrying bulky loads, the 1.4-litre petrol version is probably the one for you.’
- ‘In the shadows of the car park, a haunted-looking man sits in his old estate car eating sandwiches and pouring himself tea from a flask.’
- ‘He said his Renault estate car was not badly damaged.’
- ‘Can I be bothered to read an article about an estate car, what with all the articles on great food and stuff elsewhere in the magazine?’
- ‘A West Yorkshire Police spokesman said his car collided with a Toyota estate car and crashed into railings at the side of the road.’
- ‘Sue wants to replace the family's saloon with an estate car, which she thinks is more dog-friendly.’
- ‘He drove her to church in an Audi estate car.’
- ‘It is neither an estate car nor a saloon, and is bigger than the cars that compete with its Vectra sibling, so it occupies a largely untapped niche.’
- ‘We were promised more versions and now here they are: a coupé-cabriolet, a saloon and an estate car.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.