Inflammation of the esophagus.
- ‘If heartburn goes on long enough, it can lead to esophagitis (an inflamed lining of the esophagus).’
- ‘Symptoms and signs of purging habits include reflux esophagitis, abdominal cramping, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding.’
- ‘All patients underwent endoscopy before randomization, and those with severe esophagitis, peptic ulcer disease, Barrett's esophagus or other serious conditions were excluded from the study.’
- ‘The second group was recruited for histologic comparison and consisted of patients undergoing endoscopy for dyspepsia who had no evidence of esophagitis, ulcer disease or cancer.’
- ‘The close association between hiatus hernia and the symptoms of reflux esophagitis, observed long ago, led to the belief that such hernias cause reflux.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.