One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An entertainer specializing in escaping from the confinement of such things as ropes, handcuffs, and chains.
- ‘Harry Houdini was such a great escapologist that even his friends, such as Arthur Conan Doyle, believed he must have had supernatural help.’
- ‘At the age of 17 he met the great escapologist Harry Houdini.’
- ‘‘Our clients will be able to enjoy comedy, magicians, contortionists, escapologists and music,’ he said.’
- ‘Fire-eaters, escapologists and stilt walkers will all be on hand to provide entertainment.’
- ‘The eldest son reinvents himself as Harry, after Harry Houdini, the famous escapologist, whose feats are recorded in a book he finds.’
- ‘Harry Houdini is known as the world's greatest escapologist, but he fostered a reputation for invulnerability that proved to be fatal.’
- ‘The escapologist will put up a thousand good reasons to get into a regulation canvas straitjacket and escape within 90 seconds.’
- ‘Illusionist and escapologist Shahid Malik broke free from a straitjacket while suspended upside down from a burning rope.’
- ‘On graduation, he worked as a publican's assistant, a police frogman and an escapologist.’
- ‘Huge parades, athletics stars, circus acts, escapologists, food stalls, quick-fire raffles, musicians, and wood choppers were some of the attractions that helped the event back up its bold branding.’
- ‘Houdini was a publicity-wise escapologist and illusionist who made his name and a good deal of money in America.’
- ‘Now a new film based on the life of Harry Houdini is set to tell the fictional tale of how the escapologist fell in love with an Edinburgh woman.’
- ‘Among the myths exposed along the way is the idea that Houdini, great escapologist though he was, could do magic.’
- ‘A further highlight will be escapologist, Paul Sanderson, dangling from a crane in a strait-jacket.’
- ‘American escapologist Robert Gallup gave a preview performance of his skills to local media last Friday.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.