Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone secreted by the kidneys that increases the rate of production of red blood cells in response to falling levels of oxygen in the tissues.
- ‘Another important renal response to ischemia is the release of erythropoietin, which stimulates the bone marrow to increase production of red blood cells.’
- ‘As renal function declines, patients are likely to develop anemia because of decreased renal production of erythropoietin.’
- ‘However, if symptoms become severe, a blood transfusion or injections of synthetic erythropoietin, a hormone normally produced by the kidneys, may help stimulate red blood cell production and ease fatigue.’
- ‘The marrow often has to be supported with granulocyte stimulating factor or erythropoietin.’
- ‘The mechanism responsible for polycythaemia is the release of the hormone erythropoietin from the kidney as a result of the shortage of oxygen there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.