One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An antibiotic used in the treatment of infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria. It is similar in its effects to penicillin.
- ‘In its early stages, leptospirosis can be treated with antibiotics such as penicillin, streptomycin, tetracycline and erythromycin.’
- ‘Treatment is with antibiotics such as erythromycin and tetracycline.’
- ‘This strain was resistant to methicillin, cephalothin, gentamicin, erythromycin, chloramphenicol and tetracycline.’
- ‘The disease responds to erythromycin or tetracycline and similar drugs.’
- ‘The most frequently used topical antibiotics are clindamycin and erythromycin.’
1950s: from elements of the modern Latin taxonomic name Streptomyces erythreus + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.