Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A red blood cell that (in humans) is typically a biconcave disc without a nucleus. Erythrocytes contain the pigment hemoglobin, which imparts the red color to blood, and transport oxygen and carbon dioxide to and from the tissues.
- ‘The final stage of erythrocyte production is when reticulocytes develop into erythrocytes.’
- ‘There are three chapters devoted to the structure and function of erythrocytes and white blood cells.’
- ‘Full blood cell count and erythrocyte sedimentation rate were within normal limits.’
- ‘Sickle cell erythrocytes have decreased oxygen affinity and increased unsaturated hemoglobin in the arterial blood.’
- ‘The blood was pooled and then spun down to separate the erythrocytes from plasma.’
- ‘The deformation of the human erythrocyte or red blood cell has been the topic of detailed investigation for many decades.’
- ‘Increased production of erythrocytes leads to an increase in oxygen supply.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.