One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Superficial reddening of the skin, usually in patches, as a result of injury or irritation causing dilatation of the blood capillaries.
spots, skin eruption, breakoutView synonyms
- ‘For people with light skin, any erythema should be a signal for intervention and monitoring.’
- ‘The only adverse effects of therapy were transient skin erythema and local hair loss in three irradiated patients.’
- ‘The most common side effects are acne, erythema, and burning and stinging of the skin.’
- ‘Local irritation, erythema, ulceration, and tenderness were common reactions.’
- ‘Early application of topical steroids is useful to limit erythema and pruritus.’
Late 18th century: from Greek eruthēma, from eruthainein ‘be red’, from eruthros ‘red’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.