Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or formed by volcanic activity.‘a history of the eruptive activity in an area’
- ‘Late Pleistocene to Holocene eruptive activity in the Taapaca Volcanic Complex has been characterised by repetitive periods of dome growth.’
- ‘East African volcanoes are famous for their carbonatites, and most of the eruptive magmas were rich in alkalis and natrocarbonatite.’
- ‘This could be due either to lack of preservation caused by erosion or to the fact that Taapaca Volcanic Complex has not produced high eruptive columns.’
- ‘We conclude that similar compositional bimodality among eruptive products of intracontinental volcanoes in volcanic fields may be the rule, rather than the exception.’
- ‘It is clear, then, that these fires could be readily triggered by volcanic eruptive materials’ .’
- ‘Geochronological and geochemical data for the volcanic complex demonstrating Late Pleistocene eruptive activity were reported by Lohnert and Worner et al..’
- ‘Two styles of eruptive activity typically occur at Etna.’
- ‘Conversely, when specific seismogenic fault zones have been considered, statistical links between seismicity and eruptive processes are found.’
- ‘Subduction volcanoes generally show enrichments of boron in their eruptive products when compared with volcanoes in other tectonic environments.’
- ‘These deposits are common in the latest Taapaca Volcanic Complex eruptive history.’
- ‘All these spatter vents were closely aligned along a north-south trend, and constituted the main eruptive fracture, whose activity was accompanied by strong degassing.’
- ‘Since 1952, there have been 34 eruptions, and since 1983, eruptive activity has been nearly continuous.’
- ‘Changing tectonic plate motions over the ensuing eons left a continuous record of the hot spot's eruptive history, with peak volcanic events creating much of the Kerguelen Plateau and Broken Ridge.’
- ‘During the downslope extension of the eruptive fracture system, effusive activity is always restricted to the lowest portion of the growing system, whereas in its uppermost part mainly degassing takes place.’
- ‘St. George's Hill and Garibaldi Hill are interpreted as tectonically uplifted volcanic sequences from early eruptive activity of Soufriere Hills volcano.’
- ‘Continued monitoring is needed so that potential hazards to air traffic, existing communities, and future island settlements from future eruptive activity can be quickly and correctly assessed.’
- ‘Since the adoption of the exhalative model for the mineralization, the host succession has been interpreted as a dominantly effusive, and explosively eruptive, volcanic pile.’
- ‘High seismicity levels were also observed in 1894 and 1903, due to swarms in the eastern and southern flanks, respectively, apparently not correlated with eruptive activity.’
- ‘During the ongoing eruptive phase of the volcano, 19 people lost their lives in July 1997.’
- ‘In contrast, oceanic island, oceanic plateau and seamount volcanism is distinctive in composition and eruptive style from the activity at plate margins.’
- 1.1Producing or characterized by eruptions.‘an acute eruptive disease’
- ‘It also is used to ripen eruptive diseases such as measles; and promotes diaphoresis, making it useful for fevers.’
- ‘A differential diagnosis would be an overlapping spectrum of non-Langerhans cell histiocytosis with xanthoma disseminatum, generalized eruptive histiocytoma, and indeterminate cell disorder.’
- ‘The most common peripheral eruptive maculopapular rash, erythema multiforme occurs more frequently in men than in women and most often affects persons between 20 and 30 years of age.’
- ‘Herbs with a floating energy have diaphoretic properties and are used for the initial stages of colds, flus, fevers and eruptive skin diseases.’
- ‘Bartmann was similarly exhibited in Paris during 1815, and died there at the end of that year from an ‘inflammatory and eruptive malady’.’
- ‘Biopsy showed the papules to be eruptive xanthomas.’
- ‘Elder flowers are a popular herbal treatment for all bronchial and pulmonary affections, scarlet fever, measles and other eruptive diseases.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.