A message displayed on a monitor screen or printout, indicating that an incorrect instruction has been given, or that there is an error resulting from faulty software or hardware.
- ‘If anything goes wrong, the script will capture the exception and print out an error message.’
- ‘When a user sees your error message, the Web site or product has let them down.’
- ‘Once it's uninstalled, you can reinstall the software in hopes of removing the error message.’
- ‘The user may not have the luxury of viewing a message box with an error description or even understand the error message when it is displayed.’
- ‘Whenever he tried to connect to the internet, he got an error message stating that the modem could not be initialized.’