One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound present in some kinds of ergot. An alkaloid, it causes constriction of blood vessels and is used in the treatment of migraine.
- ‘Oral preparations combining ergotamine and caffeine are available, as are rectal suppositories.’
- ‘The medication ergotamine and related drugs can halt a migraine in progress.’
- ‘Of course his diuretic would probably now be furosemide and his ergotamine tartrate today might be sumatriptan.’
- ‘A combination of verapamil and ergotamine may be considered.’
- ‘Using vasoconstrictors such as ergotamine and the triptans in the presence of focal ischaemia is a theoretical concern.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.