One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound present in ergot and many other fungi. A steroid alcohol, it is converted to vitamin D₂ when irradiated with ultraviolet light.
- ‘Our data show that inclusion of cholesterol or ergosterol in DPPC membranes confers resistance to ethanol-induced interdigitation.’
- ‘For example, one of the signature compounds for fungi is ergosterol, the cholesterol counterpart found in the cell walls of all fungi.’
- ‘Maitake provides some B vitamins, ergosterol / provitamin D2, magnesium, potassium, calcium, unsaturated fatty acids, phosphatidylserine and other phospholipids, and protein.’
- ‘Similarly to cholesterol, ergosterol gives rise to channel formation, although a higher potential is required.’
- ‘However, this is not the case when ergosterol was present in the supported bilayer model membrane.’
Early 20th century: from ergot, on the pattern of cholesterol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.