One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus which measures work or energy expended during a period of physical exercise.
- ‘Participating rowing clubs and health clubs nationwide will provide free access to ergometers and/or boats, as well as instruction on technique.’
- ‘Half the group were given a bicycle ergometer and the other half were equipped with the units.’
- ‘He has swapped ergometers for knot-tying and oars for ropes.’
- ‘Finally, we measured cardiopulmonary function during maximal exercise on a cycle ergometer.’
- ‘Forty men from the Indian army were administered maximal exercise on a bicycle ergometer in a graded work load protocol.’
- ‘The patients exercised on cycle ergometers for 45 minutes, 3 times a week for 7 weeks, at high-intensity targets while receiving 3 liters per minute of either oxygen or compressed air.’
- ‘Get cranking on an arm ergometer or use a rowing machine with a palms-up grip, O'Connor suggests.’
- ‘The bicycle ergometer was set at a minimal tension level and had a built-in measure of distance that was calibrated for accuracy.’
- ‘A bicycle ergometer was used to exercise the subjects.’
- ‘At-rest measurements were made with subjects seated on the bicycle ergometer in the same position as during exercise.’
- ‘The primary outcome variable was improvement in exercise capacity, measured in watts on a cycle ergometer.’
- ‘The first stage of the training sessions was continuous endurance training on a bicycle ergometer.’
- ‘Two boys and two girls aged 12 to 14 years old each raced 1000 meters on the ergometer with their final time averaged to get the team's result.’
- ‘To stabilize gas measurements, patients were asked to remain still on the ergometer for 3 min before exercising.’
- ‘I keep it up, trying to emulate Muller's technique, using the ergometer's monitor to guide me.’
- ‘The new index was not affected by the site of testing, the ergometer, and the system used for measuring gas exchange.’
- ‘The endurance exercise component of rehabilitation emphasizes exercise on both the treadmill and the cycle ergometer, and with adequate oxygen saturation via supplemental oxygen.’
- ‘Comparing results at identical levels of exercise on a cycle ergometer provides an effort-independent measure of physiologic training responses.’
- ‘Another demonstrated an increase in average power output on a cycle ergometer during repeated 10 second sprints.’
- ‘The second test consisted of exercising for 20 minutes on a cycle ergometer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.