One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An object, typically a piece of soft rubber or plastic, used to rub out something written.
- ‘Each bag contained a pencil, an eraser, a ruler, notebooks, a water bottle and torchlight.’
- ‘Remove the paper from the eraser; the ink will have transferred to the rubber eraser.’
- ‘The long, unsharpened pencils with no bite marks, multi-colored pens, and clean erasers somehow held the promise of achievements to come…’
- ‘I wrote how pencils were long in September, and erasers were full.’
- ‘Tuna sashimi is ‘the pale pink of pencil erasers, and the texture of whipped cream’.’
- ‘UNICEF has also distributed books, blackboards, pencils, erasers, pens, watercolor paint sets as well as volleyballs, skipping ropes, drums and football kits, she said.’
- ‘My English notebook, along with pencils, pens, erasers and binder paper became airborne.’
- ‘It was very tiny, about the size of a pencil eraser sliced in a tiny piece.’
- ‘Synthetic rubber erasers are vulcanized (cooked under pressure) to cure the rubber, but vinyl erasers skip this part.’
- ‘These would have prevented goods clearly compatible with military use from entering the country, but would have allowed civilian necessities like medicine and pencil erasers into Iraq.’
- ‘Coins, marbles, safety pins, buttons, crayon pieces, erasers, paper wads, rocks, and beads are also risks.’
- ‘Pencils, erasers, small plastic figurines, and other nonedible items make good trick-or-treat prizes.’
- ‘More than 200 backpacks filled with paper, pencils, pens, erasers, calculators and other necessities were given to the children.’
- ‘Some of the items, like erasers and pencil sharpeners, shaped and coloured like fruits and vegetables, were much in demand.’
- ‘I have dim recollection of this back to school ritual: binders, pens, pencils, erasers, and paper.’
- ‘Martin slapped both on the table and rushed off to buy pencil sharpeners and erasers.’
- ‘A high school drop out, Mano's passion for odd things can be traced to his school days when as an eight year old he amused his friends by inserting chalk pieces and erasers into his nostril and pulling them out through his mouth.’
- ‘Greene provides a clear, lengthy preface describing how to prepare ten strings of the grand piano with rubber erasers and wood screws.’
- ‘Just fill all of the baskets with plastic spiders and erasers and combs and put them on every shelf with a different ticket value.’
- ‘It might be a good idea to frisk people for calculators, rubber erasers, and other harmful things.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.