One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The skill or sport of horse riding. As an Olympic sport it is divided into three disciplines: show jumping, dressage, and the three-day event (combining show jumping, dressage, and cross-country riding).
- ‘The other sports are athletics, canoeing, cycling, equestrianism, gymnastics, judo, triathlon, sailing and swimming.’
- ‘What it referred to was a rumour that has been flying around the divided and sometimes poisonous world of Irish equestrianism.’
- ‘The Minister congratulated Cian on his wonderful achievement in bringing home the individual showjumping gold medal, Ireland's first medal in equestrianism in the history of the Games.’
- ‘How many of his peer group would admit to an interest in equestrianism before they got into football?’
- ‘The British Horse Society welcomes recognition at national level of the value of equestrianism to the rural economy, and the proposed help for farmers who want to diversify.’
- ‘Indeed, equestrianism is a multi-million pound industry which plays an important role in the rural economy and tourism.’
- ‘But it was in the sports of rowing, cycling, sailing and equestrianism that the foundations were laid.’
- ‘The implementation group set up to formulate a structure for an umbrella body for equestrianism has ‘agreed, in principle, to proceed with the establishment of the body’.’
- ‘Mr McGourty said there is recognition now that equestrianism is no longer the sport of kings and that it can be an important alternative enterprise in agriculture.’
- ‘Racing and equestrianism are the only professional worldwide sports in which men and women compete against each other on an equal basis.’
- ‘Visitors were treated to displays of equestrianism, ranging from show-jumping to a Shetland Pony Grand National, livestock, pole-climbing and even terrier racing.’
- ‘The only Olympic sport where the two sexes compete together is equestrianism so it is not surprising it is taking a long time.’
- ‘Olympic fans have come to expect controversy and scandal, but the genteel world of equestrianism had managed to keep its head well above water.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.