Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A thing that has an equalizing effect.‘education is the great equalizer’
- ‘I think that when it looks like somebody's got things a lot better than we do, we like to see them fall because it's sort of a great equalizer.’
- ‘The crisis that struck in mid-1997 was a great equalizer, along with the popularity of the ‘back to nature’ movement starting in the West.’
- ‘So age is the great equalizer - 90% of 20 year olds are going to be hotter than pretty much any 50 year old, just by being young & nubile.’
- ‘‘The Web is absolutely the great equalizer,’ he said.’
- ‘The answer is the great equalizer of the modern democratic society, and I'm writing on it this very instant.’
- ‘Wealthy motorists frustrated by the great equalizer, traffic jams, will pioneer a brand new gimmick: motorcycle motorcades for millionaires.’
- ‘But computational science is a great equalizer.’
- ‘A layer of ice and a light snow cover is the great equalizer; only the cautious survive and the only driver smiling is my neighbor, the tow truck operator, as he stops by the bank to lighten his load.’
- ‘Free public education was originally conceived as a great equalizer.’
- ‘And green technology could be a great equalizer, bringing wealth to the tropical areas of the world which have most of the sunshine, most of the human population, and most of the poverty.’
- ‘I often say that there are two equalizers in life: the Internet and education.’
- ‘‘The great equalizer is the Internet,’ says McLeod.’
- ‘BE ENTERTAINING - Humor is the great equalizer and something that nearly everyone appreciates.’
- ‘He quickly found that mountain biking was often the great equalizer in helping his students better adjust to the pressures of both home and school.’
- ‘This got me thinking: traffic is the great equalizer.’
- ‘Most of this film takes place outdoors, the great equalizer, where it doesn't matter that you have nothing at all in the world.’
- ‘Because in this country, in the judicial system, money is a great equalizer.’
- ‘Don't believe it when they tell you that death is the great equalizer.’
- ‘The way many people here see it, these precautions are the great equalizer when your opponent is a serial killer.’
- ‘The Japanese have no idea what a great equalizer this is.’
- ‘Smarter training can be a great equalizer, allowing those with modest natural endurance or training time to beat those with more aerobic capacity, but less economical strokes or race plans.’
- 1.1North American informal A weapon, especially a gun.
- ‘More often than not, the real equalizer was his gun.’
- ‘Colt claimed that his guns were the ‘great equalizers.’’
- ‘Colonel Samuel Colt's revolver continues to serve as an equalizer.’
- ‘Nuclear weapons, chemical weapons and missiles are viewed, probably erroneously, as the potential equalizer of superior Western conventional power.’
- 1.2Electronics A passive network designed to modify a frequency response, especially to compensate for distortion.
- ‘A second equalizer and adjuster circuit to equalize the timed sample sequence for detection and to adjust the gain of the amplifier and the timing of the sampler operates in a user data segment of the signal.’
- ‘By separating the equalization of the signal to separate equalizers, the cost of the equalization can be reduced without substantially affecting performance.’
- ‘This panel would then be connected through a patchbay to a microphone, line and program amplifiers, equalizers and echo sends.’
- ‘And it doesn't matter that it has a great equaliser system to boot.’
- ‘The equalizer coefficients are periodically transmitted to a converter within the transmitter over a secondary channel.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.