One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Excessive watering of the eye.
- ‘The eye is the most sensitive organ in riot control because CS causes epiphora, blepharospasm, a burning sensation, and visual problems.’
- ‘This results in tears pooling in the cul-de-sac produced by the lower lid ectropion and resultant epiphora.’
- ‘These tumours tend to go unnoticed until obstruction or compression of structures occurs, resulting in symptoms such as diplopia, epiphora or nasal obstruction.’
- ‘We present the case of a 25 year old male who was admitted for the treatment of a swelling in the right lacrimal area with complaints of epiphora.’
- ‘Two patients had been subject to recurrent dacryocystitis, 3 were subject to epiphora and recurrent dacryocystitis and the others were subject to intolerable epiphora ranging from 6 months to ‘years’.’
2Rhetoricanother term for epistrophe
Late 16th century (in epiphora (sense 2)): via Latin from Greek epi ‘upon’ + pherein ‘to bear or carry’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.