A mitogenic protein thought to be involved in such physical processes as normal cell growth, wound healing, and the formation of tumors.
- ‘Researchers have found a new signaling component that influences movement of human breast cancer cells toward epidermal growth factor.’
- ‘The pathway is activated by a protein ligand such as epidermal growth factor.’
- ‘Growth factors, such as epidermal growth factor and tumor necrosis factor, are found in significant quantities in partial-thickness donor sites.’
- ‘Many cancer cells have a protein, known as epidermal growth factor receptor, all over their surface, while healthy cells typically do not express the protein as strongly.’
- ‘These include fibroblast growth factor, epidermal growth factor, and platelet-derived angiogenesis factor.’
First observed in 1959.