One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The region of an embryo or seedling stem above the cotyledon.
- ‘However, in coleoptiles, hypocotyls and epicotyls, gravity can be perceived along the whole length of the responding region and there is no such need to postulate any longitudinal transfer of a message.’
- ‘In addition, they have four or five scaly leaves with lateral buds on their epicotyl.’
- ‘The number of embryos developing an epicotyl was determined after 9 weeks in germination.’
- ‘At this stage, both the cotyledons and epicotyls (if visible) were green.’
- ‘These enzymes have also been detected in a wide range of plant organs and tissues undergoing developmental changes such as seeds, cotyledons, elongating epicotyls, and in freshly harvested asparagus spears.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.