Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The region of an embryo or seedling stem above the cotyledon.
- ‘In addition, they have four or five scaly leaves with lateral buds on their epicotyl.’
- ‘At this stage, both the cotyledons and epicotyls (if visible) were green.’
- ‘These enzymes have also been detected in a wide range of plant organs and tissues undergoing developmental changes such as seeds, cotyledons, elongating epicotyls, and in freshly harvested asparagus spears.’
- ‘However, in coleoptiles, hypocotyls and epicotyls, gravity can be perceived along the whole length of the responding region and there is no such need to postulate any longitudinal transfer of a message.’
- ‘The number of embryos developing an epicotyl was determined after 9 weeks in germination.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.