One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen shrub of warm, arid regions that has trailing or climbing stems and tiny, scalelike leaves. Some kinds are a source of ephedrine and are used medicinally.
- ‘Most of ephedra's activity stems from the ephedrine component, which produces amphetamine-like actions.’
- ‘The ephedra plant, from which the precursor of methamphetamine is made, grows wild in northern China.’
- ‘There's some ephedra waiting, in a flavor of your choice.’
- ‘Part of this tarnishing comes from the controversy surrounding an herb called ephedra.’
- ‘The herb ephedra has been removed from many over-the-counter natural diet aids.’
- ‘She had been taking a weight-loss product containing caffeine and the herb ephedra on-and-off for three years.’
- ‘The vegetation is a mix of grasses, annual herbs and isolated patches of mesquite, cholla, ephedra and yucca.’
- ‘But some featured other herbs containing ephedrine, the active ingredient in the herb ephedra.’
- ‘Is the ephedra / caffeine mix leading to a pound of fat loss each week, or is it the diet?’
- ‘But ephedra also increases heart rate, which can cause heart rhythm problems.’
- ‘Other studies comparing ephedra with placebo or herbs containing caffeine yielded similar results.’
- ‘I keep reading that the herb ephedra can be dangerous for the heart.’
- ‘The drug contains 18 herbal ingredients, including ephedra, an herb that has been linked to dozens of fatalities.’
- ‘And if weight-loss drugs are so great, why does she warn us later in the book about the dangers of the herb ephedra?’
- ‘For instance, consider ephedra, an herb found in many supplements and muscle enhancement products.’
- ‘The Ephedra equisetina contains the most ephedra, whereas the Ephedra nevadensis and Ephedra trifurca lack the alkaloid.’
- ‘If ephedra was involved, the supplement may have allowed him to push past his limit without him realizing it, because it is an energy booster.’
- ‘In Ayurvedic medicine - the same ancient science that gave us ephedra - garlic is recommended for weight loss.’
- ‘After ephedra vanished, the market experienced a lull in effective fat-burners.’
- ‘In fact, a study in a major medical journal has shown that more than 75 percent of the side effects coming from herbs are from ephedra.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, ‘equisetum’ (which it resembles), from Greek.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.