Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen shrub of warm, arid regions that has trailing or climbing stems and tiny, scalelike leaves. Some kinds are a source of ephedrine and are used medicinally.
- ‘And if weight-loss drugs are so great, why does she warn us later in the book about the dangers of the herb ephedra?’
- ‘Is the ephedra / caffeine mix leading to a pound of fat loss each week, or is it the diet?’
- ‘The herb ephedra has been removed from many over-the-counter natural diet aids.’
- ‘The Ephedra equisetina contains the most ephedra, whereas the Ephedra nevadensis and Ephedra trifurca lack the alkaloid.’
- ‘In fact, a study in a major medical journal has shown that more than 75 percent of the side effects coming from herbs are from ephedra.’
- ‘In Ayurvedic medicine - the same ancient science that gave us ephedra - garlic is recommended for weight loss.’
- ‘For instance, consider ephedra, an herb found in many supplements and muscle enhancement products.’
- ‘She had been taking a weight-loss product containing caffeine and the herb ephedra on-and-off for three years.’
- ‘Most of ephedra's activity stems from the ephedrine component, which produces amphetamine-like actions.’
- ‘But some featured other herbs containing ephedrine, the active ingredient in the herb ephedra.’
- ‘The drug contains 18 herbal ingredients, including ephedra, an herb that has been linked to dozens of fatalities.’
- ‘After ephedra vanished, the market experienced a lull in effective fat-burners.’
- ‘Part of this tarnishing comes from the controversy surrounding an herb called ephedra.’
- ‘The vegetation is a mix of grasses, annual herbs and isolated patches of mesquite, cholla, ephedra and yucca.’
- ‘I keep reading that the herb ephedra can be dangerous for the heart.’
- ‘There's some ephedra waiting, in a flavor of your choice.’
- ‘But ephedra also increases heart rate, which can cause heart rhythm problems.’
- ‘The ephedra plant, from which the precursor of methamphetamine is made, grows wild in northern China.’
- ‘Other studies comparing ephedra with placebo or herbs containing caffeine yielded similar results.’
- ‘If ephedra was involved, the supplement may have allowed him to push past his limit without him realizing it, because it is an energy booster.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, equisetum literally horse tail (which it resembles), from Greek ephedra, equivalent to hippouris, horse tail.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.