One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the second epoch of the Tertiary period, between the Paleocene and Oligocene epochs.
- ‘The La Meseta Formation is the best exposed and most fossiliferous rock unit of Eocene age in Antarctica.’
- ‘Western Ecuador consists of a complex tectonic melange of oceanic terranes accreted to the continental margin from Late Cretaceous to Eocene time.’
- ‘An early Cretaceous to late Eocene volcanic arc was located in the present-day Central Depression.’
- ‘This age is notable because it is precisely the age of the boundary between the Paleocene and Eocene epochs.’
- ‘It includes the Palaeocene, Eocene, and Oligocene epochs, spanning the time from the end of the Mesozoic to the beginning of the Neogene.’
- 1.1as noun the Eocene The Eocene epoch or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Mid 19th century: from Greek ēōs ‘dawn’ + kainos ‘new’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.